Sisters of St. Joseph Of Sault Ste. Marie
The Sisters of St. Joseph have a long history dating back to 17th Century France (1650). In 1881, five Sisters arrived at Prince Arthur’s Landing (now Thunder Bay) to teach and provide spiritual support in the parish. This role quickly expanded to caring for the sick or injured in the frontier town.
Their work and efforts were instrumental in establishing schools and hospitals in the Region, as well as taking care of orphans and the elderly. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Sault Ste. Marie continue to fulfill their mission to God and the community, meeting the unmet needs of the communities in which they serve.